Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sick Days and Pedialyte Recipe




As I mentioned before we have been home resting the last week being that the boys have been under the weather. The worst was my sweet Bear. He got hit with a major stomach bug and has not been himself lately.
When kids (or any one for the matter) have diarrhea or throw up the biggest issue is dehydration.  I was watching his wet diapers closely. He normally is just a water or breastmilk drinker since we don't have juice in the house typically, but after a few days of not really eating much and pretty much only drinking water and breastmilk I could see him getting a bit weak. And after a long stretch with a dry diaper I started to worry more. 
We tried regular Pedialyte at first and he wasn't having it at all. I also tried watered down Gatorade and he still refused. Finally good ol' trusted Google led me to Baby Savers. I had never been on this site  before and it seems pretty neat. She gives three different recipes but number three was one I knew would work for B because orange juice is his favorite. For the original recipe click HERE

This is my modified recipe. I halved most of the ingredients since this can only be refrigerated for three days and I didn't think that he would drink it all. 
  •  1 quarts water
  • 1/2  teaspoon baking soda
  • about 2 Tbls of Agave nectar ( the original calls for sugar) 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup of OJ
The Results: He totally loved it and drank it right up. We had a wet diaper within the hour and I could see him get a little more energy. I am not claiming that stuff stuff is a miracle worker but I am saying it worked great for B, he got the fluids he needed and it was a step in the right direction. We have added more probiotics to his diet as well and today was the first day that he is acting more like himself.

Isn't seeing your little ones sick the worst? I always feel a little helpless because I so badly wish I could make them better. I am very thankful to have found this recipe and that it worked so well for us. Do you have any homemade recipes that you use when you or your little ones are sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment