Monday, June 11, 2012

How to: Playdough

Despite the boys and I being sick I still attempted to keep them entertained over the weekend. Maybe it was my attempt to be able to get a few quiet moments and rest my head on the kitchen table... What you mean to tell me you have never fallen asleep at the table? :) Well I decided to make the boys, mostly B some play dough using THIS recipe. The results seemed great and it was a really easy process
What you need :
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)

Food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix)
Scented oils

I didn't have cream of tartar or scented oils so I skipped those 
*note* I trick I learned while working at a preschool was to use mineral oil/baby oil instead if cooking oil so the dough won't go rancid as quickly. Old cooking oil is pretty yucky. 



1. Gather your materials 
Materials 

Ever wonder what kids are doing while moms are trying to make something for them? Well my boys pushed their table and wrestled for Popsicle sticks. 
 2. Mix all your ingredients and cook under low heat. You want to stir your dough until it starts coming off the sides and sticks to itself in the middle. The original instructions say it should resemble mashed potato and if your dough is too sticky to keep cooking it. I didn't experience that issue.

 3. Let the dough cool. ...

This may take a while , so read a few books, make some coffee, listen to music. Or get in trouble for pushing your brother and running away with his toy. 

4. The fun part! Letting little hands explore something new for the first time (under supervision) 

W  touching playdough for the first time ever.

5. Divide your dough in as many sections you want. I only had 4 colors of food coloring and wasn't feeling brave enough to mix colors. But there is a lot of variation. Drop a few drops of food coloring in each section and knead. I suggest a parent do this part since it could get very messy.



 6. Play, play, play! Get some tools out popsicle sticks, monster trucks small rolling pins and have fun.

I must admit that B was not as entertained  as much as I expected that day. He pretty much shoved his fingers in all the balls. Pilled them on each other and walked away. Oh well. I am sure he will come back to it, The great things is you can store them in ziplock bags for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment